*The Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology program in Structural Analysis/Design Option in Engineering Technology is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
Arash Rahmatian, PhD, Coordinator
The main focus of the Structural Analysis/Design Option in Engineering Technology program is the application of computer technology, modern materials and construction techniques to the overall design of structures, including project planning, costs estimates and management of the project. As such, the program will prepare graduates who have:
- A sound background in the analysis, design, testing and construction of civil structures ;
- Are proficient in applying their knowledge (in mathematics, science and engineering) and standard tools, specially finite element and graphical software, to technical problem solving.
- Are all-around individuals with strong social skill, able to work in team environments, competent in communication and information presentation, and with strong sense of professionalism and ethics.
- Are productive from the first day in the work place and are committed to continuous improvement and lifelong learning.
Structural analysis specialists are among the most sought-after personnel in the Houston area due to the growing demand from construction industries, power companies, transportation systems and energy industries. Structural analysis and design technology has its basis in computer technology, construction systems, and materials science. The broad technical background of structural analysis graduates opens up bright employment prospects, from construction industries to telecommunications and transportation systems.
Graduates of the BSET Structural Analysis/Design Option in Engineering Technology program will be able to:
- Perform standard analysis and design of structural systems following codes and modern practices.
- Determine deformations and stresses in structural systems under the action forces: gravity, wind, fire, earth pressure and flood.
- Apply basic technical concepts to identify, analyze and solve technical problems involving structural, geotechnical, and material behavior under forces and fire.
- Apply principles of material selection and cost estimation to include:
- Select appropriate engineering materials and practices;
- Estimate material quantities; and
- Conduct engineering cost analysis.
- Employ productivity software to solve technical problems.
- Utilize modern surveying methods for land measurement and/or construction layout.
- Utilize graphic techniques to produce engineering documents.
- Conduct standardized field and laboratory testing on civil engineering materials.
- Plan and prepare design and construction documents, such as specifications, contracts, change orders, engineering drawings, and construction schedules.
- Work effectively on teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Engagement in lifelong learning.
- Ability to understand professional, ethical and social responsibilities.
- Respect for diversity and knowledge of contemporary professional, societal and global issues.
- Commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement.