Apr 11, 2021
Given the significant role of the United States in world affairs and the importance of globalization of business to American business enterprise, this major offers a combination of basic business knowledge with an interdisciplinary study of international practices and policies. The curriculum of this major is designed to prepare students for positions in government, business or international agencies in the fields of international trade, international finance, international marketing, international management, and international accounting.
- Students will apply knowledge of and analyze unique and strategic accounting issues facing companies in international business
- Students will recognize and resolve ethical dilemmas, the impact of cultural and political risk have on multi-national organizations regarding corporate governance and corporate social reporting (CSR)
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the differences existing in the international marketplace and demonstrate the ability to analyze and apply international business concepts
- Students will apply the foundation knowledge of international financial management to determine the value firms and securities in international settings
Bachelor of Business Administration Programs
All majors within the Bachelor of Business Administration degree program administered by the Marilyn Davies College of Business share a common core of general education requirements and a common core of business course requirements. These two core areas must be completed in addition to the major discipline requirements.
Students must complete all general education core requirements prior to enrolling in upper-division courses. Upon completion of the Common Core requirements and earning the requisite GPA, students should file for admission to the Marilyn Davies College of Business.
All students seeking a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from the University of Houston-Downtown must complete the common core requirements.
Common Core Requirements (42 hours)
Common core requirements may be filled by taking any of the courses listed as options under the heading of Common Core Requirements detailed in the Undergraduate Academic Programs section. To fulfill the Mathematics requirement, MATH 1324, or equivalent, is required. To fulfill the institutional requirement, UHD 1302 - Freshman Seminar- Mathematics, specifically “Business Computer Applications”, is recommended for freshman students. Transfer students who have not completed the institutional requirement are recommended to take UHD 2301 - University Seminar-Communication specifically “Going Virtual: Communication in Cyberspace.”
Business Core Requirements (45-48 hours)
Preparatory Requirements (42 hours)
Students must complete all common core requirements listed under the heading of Common Core Requirements detailed in the Undergraduate Academic Programs section prior to enrolling in upper-level courses.
Business Core Requirements (48 hours)
See the list of Business Core requirements under the section titled Bachelor of Business Administration Programs.
IB Major - Foreign Language Requirement: (6 hours):
Six hours of college level credit in a foreign language (other than English).
Required International Core Courses (15 hours)
Electives Requirement: (6 hours)
6 hours (select 2 courses) from the following:
International Experience Requirement: (3 hours)
3 hours from the following with prior approval of the Department Chair:
- Study abroad program - actual study outside of U.S. may be approved for more than 3 semester hours.
- Participating in Marilyn Davies College of Business international field trip*. (see below)
- International Internship (inside or outside the United States) with pre-approval from college and organization.
*The Marilyn Davies College of Business International Field Trip requirements mentioned may be completed by taking one of the following two course options: