Major in English
Chuck Jackson, Ph.D., Coordinator
Room S1039, 713-221-8615
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates who earn a BA in English will be able to:
Read literary, cultural, and scholarly texts critically by:
- analyzing, through close reading, the rhetorical and aesthetic qualities of texts;
- demonstrating understanding of the characteristics, conventions, and techniques associated with various literary genres;
- situating texts within their historical and cultural contexts; and
- demonstrating understanding of the literary traditions in U.S., British, and other national literatures.
Produce mature college-level writing that:
- advances rhetorically astute arguments about texts;
- analyzes texts within their historical and cultural contexts;
- applies a guiding critical methodology; and
- employs appropriate scholarly diction and tone.
Use and document sources appropriately to:
- advance/enrich an argument; and
- demonstrate engagement in critical debate.